Thursday, April 14, 2016

Happy Tamil New Year and Vishu

Happy Tamil New Year and Vishu!  Welcome to my corner!

This blog has been a dream of mine for a very long time, because I wanted a space where I could indulge my secret desire to write and express my thoughts.  I love gardening, experimenting in the kitchen, crafts, reading, listening to old songs, watching old movies, and I wanted a space to record my successes and failures.  The failures probably outnumber the successes, but then, how else would I have a success if I didn't have something to learn from?  So here is my invitation to join me on this journey of mine and read about my endeavors, and the results, both positive and negative.

My father always used to tell me to write down all my recipes and gardening experiments, and write a book, but l didn't think anyone would want to read a book written by me.  I know my mother and sister would love to read about my cooking adventures too, so I am dedicating this blog to the three of them, and will be including several of their favorite dishes in this blog.

I am visiting my niece at the moment, and she is the one who has encouraged me to take this bold step and start my own blog.  My sons had asked me to do this in the past, asking me to record my recipes, but I lacked the courage to take the plunge.  My cousin has asked me to do this several times in the past, and has given up trying.  Thank you, dear A, for motivating me and for promising to read my posts!

Today is Tamil New Year's Day, and I made a simple Pongal, and made an okra sambar and tomato gothsu to go with it.






Recipe for gothsu (my sister's favorite dish):

3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 green chilies, chopped
Tamarind juice, thick - 2 tbsp
Jaggery - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Hing
Salt
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Sambar powder - 1 tsp
Curry leaves
Cilantro
Cooking oil - 2 tbsp

1. Heat the oil and add mustard seeds and whole cumin.  When the mustard seeds pop, and the cumin gets browned, add the green chilies, hing and fry lightly.

2. Add the chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, sambar powder, jaggery and tamarind juice and allow everything to cook.

3. When the tomatoe are cooked and become thick, add the curry leaves and turn off the heat.

4. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.


1 comment: